The purpose of this blog is to chronicle the next 9(ish) months of my life until I present my senior project. The project I have chosen is an 18 outfit, 38 piece fashion line, which will be entirely designed and made by me.

Monday, September 5, 2011

Slightly Late...

"Hello, all! I meant to post this on Monday, but with the beginning of classes and club meetings, it's been a little busy around here.

In case I haven't mentioned this yet (I'm really not sure if I have, and I don't feel much like checking at the moment), Mondays are my reserved sewing/knitting day, so that I have plenty of time to get my project done." [Written on August 31, 2011]

...My goodness, I began writing this post on Wednesday and completely forgot that I never finished! Well, I'm free now, so here I go. Holy crap, there's a lot to write about.

Within the realm of my sewing project, I stitched up the seams of three shirts a week ago (August 29), but had to stop there because Antoinette is the machine I prefer to do the hemming and finishing on the collars of knit garments. Those shirts are the Silver Jersey Cap Sleeve V-neck Top, the Long Sleeve Gold Cotton V-neck Top, and the Silver Jersey Tank.

I took these garments home this weekend so that I could finish them, but in the midst of the holiday weekend (yay labor day!), a family picnic, another baby shower for my sister-in-law from my dad's side of the family, and a rather large, last minute project which I'll discuss in a bit, there was not much time left for me to finish them. I also had too bake cookies with my niece, Hannah. Where could I have ever found time to sew three shirts!?

I did get another piece done, but that will be discussed in a later post.

School is going quite well so far, thank you for asking. We're doing pinhole photography in my Advanced Photography class right now, so my family was quite surprised to find out that I was taking a time-lapse photo of the picnic (hopefully I'll get something good to show them at Thanksgiving, or whenever I see them next).

The rather large last minute project that I mentioned is for my Advanced Typography class. I want to keep the full idea of it a surprise, but it involves type (obviously), fairytales, and a lovely wingback chair that I picked up at my local Salvation Army for $35.

Yes, I know; "lovely" is not necessarily the best word to describe this thing, but the structure of the chair is still in great condition (although my father says that it could be around 100 years old), and I fully intend to reupholster it.

Over the weekend, my mother and I found this chair, and bought fabric to reupholster it (a really luxurious deep purple suede which happened to be on clearance and half off!).

Once the family picnic/baby shower was over, we got the chair in the house (well, it was on our screened in porch) and I proceeded to rip the awkward, old smelling orange plaid fabric off of it. It took longer than I wanted it to (I think the last person to upholster this chair was having anger issues and using the staples to let it out. There seemed to be an unnecessary amount of staples in this thing), and I wasn't able to entirely finish, but I'm pretty pleased with how far I got.


I'm keeping the pieces of the old fabric and when I've got another weekend to be home, I'll use them to cut out the pieces of my new fabric. I haven't gotten any stuffing to replace the 50 year old stuff that I just took out of it, but at the moment, my entire project has only cost me $55! When I've finished, I'll have myself a gorgeous wing chair for under $100 (which is much better than the $300 an antique store was asking for).

For anyone who's interested in doing their own reupholstery project on a wing chair, I found a great tutorial here. My chair is a little different, so I ended up taking it apart mostly on my own, but it was definitely helpful to read someone else's process first.

Well, that's essentially it...I'm going to go work on some archaeology homework and hopefully have some time left over to finally finish the Red Hand Knitted Half Sleeve Sweater which has been angrily waiting for me to come back to it for somewhere around 2 months (sorry...). More posts to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment