The purpose of this blog is to chronicle the next 9(ish) months of my life until I present my senior project. The project I have chosen is an 18 outfit, 38 piece fashion line, which will be entirely designed and made by me.

Monday, September 12, 2011

Such Distractions...

Man, is school ever busy! Not only are projects starting to pile up, but I was also recently made Initiate Adviser for my fraternity because the person who was voted into the position discovered that he was far too swamped. So for the past week I've been taking photos with a camera I made out of mat board, organizing the rush and initiation schedule, reading countless fairy tales, designing posters, and reading (like, actually reading) my anthropology textbook.

That's not to say that I haven't been thinking about sewing at all. Last week the campus held an organization fair to introduce the freshmen to the various club opportunities on campus. I sat at a table for my fraternity. At a table near ours was a huge pile of class T-shirts from the past years (2012-2014). I got ink all over my Class of 2012 shirt, so I jumped at the opportunity to get another one. The pile was only made of larges and extra larges, though, which brought a really fun idea to my head. Ever since Stumbling onto this webpage, I've been hoping for a large T-shirt or two to fall into my lap.

Except I picked up three. Just in case.

Pretty soon I should have a really great garment to show you that is made of one or all of these. If it turns out well, I might wear it to the Homecoming game and have school spirit for once!



Today I finally got to pull my sewing machine out again. When I did, I found it pretty easy to get excited about my project again (something I was worried would become an issue). Today I was able to sew and overcast the three remaining shirts; the Blue Cotton Long Sleeve V-neck Top, Blue Cotton Half Sleeve V-neck Top, and Black Cap Sleeve Cotton V-neck Top. I was also able to overcast the pieces for the Bootcut Lightwash Denim Jeans.

The current list of garments in limbo is now:
Silver Jersey Cap Sleeve V-neck Top
Long Sleeve Cotton V-neck Top
Silver Jersey Tank
Blue Cotton Long Sleeve V-neck Top
Blue Cotton Half Sleeve V-neck Top
Black Cap Sleeve Cotton V-neck Top
Bootcut Lightwash Denim Jeans
Red Hand Knitted Half Sleeve Sweater
Off-White Hand Knitted Gown/Wedding Dress

This list (other than the last two garments, which I don't need another sewing machine to finish) really makes me want to get back home. Sadly, because of the recent flooding in my area, my mom is requesting that I give them more time to put the house back together before I try to go back and work. This makes complete sense to me, so I decided to start working on something I could sew here. I started overcasting the pieces for the Wideleg Grey Suiting Trousers, but stopped when the bobbin ran out, because it was getting late-ish and I didn't want to keep bothering my roommate. Plus, I was honestly getting tired of winding the bobbin.

In other news, I've slowly been adding to my Grey Modified Suiting Vest pieces. This is mostly to free up bobbins, since I only have four that fit into my Brother machine. Three colors in, this is how it's starting to turn out.

At the moment it looks like Superman's new intern forgot how to iron his vest. I keep wondering if adding more colors will make it look any better or if it will just continue to get worse and worse. I'm afraid that it's probably the latter. Should I give up on this and redesign the Grey Modified Suiting Vest and Grey Modified Suiting Sheath Dress? It's worrying me...

Also, in case you're interested, here's a close shot of the fabric I'll be using to reupholster my chair. It's a really neutral and dark looking purple. The suede is so soft! I'm also excited to get back home to continue this project.

Well, that's it for the updates! Have a fun week!

No comments:

Post a Comment