The purpose of this blog is to chronicle the next 9(ish) months of my life until I present my senior project. The project I have chosen is an 18 outfit, 38 piece fashion line, which will be entirely designed and made by me.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Guess What?! More Pants!!!! And Some Other Stuff...

Yesterday was unbelievably productive. To start off, my mom and I went to JoAnn Fabrics to get the knits I've been missing. We also picked up all of the silver lining that was in the store (only 7 yards, so I'm pretty sure I'll still have to get more at some point), and the stabilizer for the edging of the Black Satin 4 Square Dress. It feels pretty great to be able to say that I finally have all of the fabric I need for my line. Such a big weight off my shoulders.

JoAnn was also having a 50% off sale on their clearance fabric, so I picked up over 4 yards of this lovely metallic plaid weave for just over $20! And it's a pattern! I see a jacket and skirt in its future (far in the future, that is). I know I can't use it just yet, but it was a great deal, and a little motivation to get my line done can't hurt, can it? Of course not.


When I got home I began working on the muslin for a bootcut pair of pants, which I had drafted the night before. I used the pattern for the wide leg pants for the top, and then when I got to the crotch area on either side, I used the pattern from the jeans I had ripped up (they were bootcut) to determine the line of the leg. The fabric I used is, again, something I got from my grandmother (I'm pretty sure it used to be a tablecloth).





They seem to be significantly tighter than the last pair. I wore them around the house for about an hour to see if they would be alright as is, or if I should just add some to the sides again. I bent over to pick up a dropped pin and ripped them right up the back seam. Now, I understand that I didn't reinforce the seam in any way (it was just a single line of stitching), but I still never want to hear that sound again, so I think I'll be adding some.





I also began working on the edging for the Black Satin 4 Square Dress. The edging part is finished, and the entire dress is ready to be sewn together, but first I need to decide how I want to do the straps.



















I'm going back and forth between these two chains. The one on the left is a simple black chain, the one on the right is bigger and black but with a silver front. What do you think?

I know I want to do a chain because I think the detail in them would really speak to the detail in Gothic architecture. I'm going to try to have the decision made by tonight so I can finish this dress soon (it's so close to being done!). I'll post a tutorial on how to make the dress, too.

That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment