The purpose of this blog is to chronicle the next 9(ish) months of my life until I present my senior project. The project I have chosen is an 18 outfit, 38 piece fashion line, which will be entirely designed and made by me.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Piece #6 Finished!

This is my lovely Silver Satin Tank. It's made from the same pattern as the Teal Satin Tank, but I did add about 3 inches total to the top so it would be looser under the arms. I was going to do a drawstring waist this time, but I really didn't feel like punishing myself with the task of making a thin drawstring. Instead, I chose to use elastic again, and I find that I don't mind the missing drawstring. I think it would have been too much on the front.

My favorite part of this shirt is probably the chain straps. It's the same kind of chain that I used on the Black Satin 4 Square Dress (don't worry; I promise I won't overuse the chain idea). Yes, you can believe your eyes; I did in fact sew the chains into the seams using my machine! If you decide you want to challenge yourself and try this out, remember to do it slowly and carefully while hand cranking. The only reason it worked for me is because I was very careful about moving the fabric to just the right place and stitching slowly. I'm glad I did, because I think it looks much better than it would have if hand stitched, and it seems more sturdy.

Total Hours Logged: 2 1/2

Fabric: Silver Crepe Back Satin

Notions: Chain and 1/2" Elastic (the thinner elastic cuts into the skin more, which is a bit uncomfortable, so I went with the wider stuff this time)

Cost: about $6

No comments:

Post a Comment