The purpose of this blog is to chronicle the next 9(ish) months of my life until I present my senior project. The project I have chosen is an 18 outfit, 38 piece fashion line, which will be entirely designed and made by me.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Significance In Absence...

Hello all, I just realized that I haven't posted anything about sewing in a week! But never fear, my absence has been significant, and that significance is obvious in all the work I've done! There's a lot to be said, so I might end up breaking the info into several posts, just for a break. Anywho, onforth!

Since speaking to you last, I've finished the Black Satin 4 Square Dress (with Teal Satin Belt), the Red Cap Sleeve Cotton V-neck Top, and the Silver Satin Tank (these three will be further discussed in a separate post). In case you're trying to keep up with the numbers, that's outfit #1 and pieces #4, 5, and 6. I'm moving along rather well, I think (only 25 more sewn pieces to go).


I've also made a second test of the jacket pattern, which fits much better since I fixed the waistline. I took a little off of the side seams, too because it seemed a little big. I absolutely love the length of it. It's perfect.



Once I decided that I liked the way the pattern was fitting, I decided to make sure that my shorter version of the jacket, the Black Suiting Long Sleeve Jacket, was the right length on me. I just cut the bottom of the jacket to check it out; there was no way I was making a third test if I didn't have to.

I've also cut out the pieces for the Grey Modified Suiting Vest. I imagine some of you are wondering what I mean by modified suiting...well, it's your lucky day; I'm going to give you a free preview!

It's pretty simple; just random stitches going across the fabric to add fun texture, color, and interest to an otherwise plain vest. This only shows the red thread (I've finished the only two garments which require it, so now I'm free to use what's left on the spool for the modifying), but I plan to use all of the different colors of thread for this purpose. Fun idea, huh? It does pucker a bit, but I don't think it'll be too noticeable when I do more stitching and sew the garment.




I've also begun the dreaded task of draping the patterns for three more garments. All three are dresses, and two of them are based on shapes which I've never seen used before in the way that I'm using them (think the windows of Notre Dame). It means a lot of extra work, but I think they'll look pretty awesome when they're done.

Yes, I know it's confusing. Keep in mind there are three patterns on there at once. Sometime soon I'll get them all down on paper.







In other, non fashion line news, I've finished the plans for the costumes I've agreed to make for my local theater group. The characters are similar to a pop girl band (think The Pussycat Dolls or The Spice Girls), so the director requested feminine and sultry yet modest.

Just today, I received in the mail a box of over 75 vintage patterns which I purchased on Ebay (for a whopping $22!). With all of the new patterns, I found I had enough corset/vest patterns to give each girl her own style! I'm really glad I was able to, because I think it fits the "theme" of a girl band even more. The vests will all be made of a woven rust colored fabric (the color scheme of the scene is black, dark purple, and rust). Each girl will also get a black knit shirt with puffy sleeves and a circular skirt which will end just above the knee. I'm not sure yet what color the skirts will be. The director gave me free reign, so it'll depend on what I can find in the clearance section of JoAnn Fabrics.

My mom is a bit annoyed at the sewing distraction, but I'm glad that I can do something to help out the group this year, since I can't be in the show. I've been in almost every show since the group started, over 10 years ago. I think this will be the first one I haven't been in in at least 7 years. Crazy...

Anyway, that's about it. My next project (after finishing updating you guys on everything) is going to be the Black Satin Vest. More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment