The purpose of this blog is to chronicle the next 9(ish) months of my life until I present my senior project. The project I have chosen is an 18 outfit, 38 piece fashion line, which will be entirely designed and made by me.

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Pinocchio Props...

I know I haven't posted in a while, like I said before, I'm crazy busy helping with my local theater group's summer musical. I don't think I ever told you what show it is, so in case you were wondering, it's called My Son Pinocchio. It's the story of Pinocchio but told from Geppetto's point of view. If you want to watch the movie version of this, you can find the YouTube playlist here. The movie is significantly different from the musical, but it's still pretty good.

The group was lacking in props, particularly marionettes for Stromboli, so my mom and I searched online for ways to make cheap ones. My mom found this really great tutorial and the music director absolutely loved it. So, after a trip to A. C. Moore and about two hours of taking up the couch with my molting boas, I'm left with these awesome marionettes!






Aren't they adorable!? Yes, I am fully aware that the one is essentially Big Bird, the colors were chosen by the music director. To make both marionettes cost somewhere around $20. Isn't that crazy!? And they reach up to the knees when they're raised up in a standing position! The tutorial called for a wooden sphere cut in half for the feet, but I found these cool flat wooden hand shapes and used those instead. I also (at my mom's urging) gave the girl bird a Marilyn Monroe beauty mark. Adorable!

I also found these wooden block boxes in A. C. Moore. They were unpainted, and one of my favorite color palettes is red, blue green, and yellow green, so that's how I chose to paint them. It took a while, but I definitely think it was worth it. They'll look really great in Geppetto's toy shop, and they only cost $6 with our 40% off coupon!

Still haven't had a chance to get a picture of the girls in their costumes that I made, the cast isn't practicing in costume yet. I'll definitely post pictures once they start.

No comments:

Post a Comment