The purpose of this blog is to chronicle the next 9(ish) months of my life until I present my senior project. The project I have chosen is an 18 outfit, 38 piece fashion line, which will be entirely designed and made by me.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Back Home, Ready To Sew!!!

I know I've been relatively quiet the past few months, but I'm back home now, which means that I'm ready to get back to some intense sewing!!

I guess there's a bunch of news for me to discuss first, so I'll try to do that quickly...
First, my parents are in the process of moving into a new house, so everything is crazier than usual, because all of our stuff is split up between the old house and the new one. My parents have decided to let me take over one room of the old house for the break for me to sew in. The new house is smaller than the one we were in, so there isn't enough room for my sewing stuff to be set up.

Basically, the deal is that when my mom leaves for work, she's going to take me to the house and then when she comes home she's going to pick me up. So I get about 9 hours every day with nothing else to do other than sew. Today was my first day there for it, and it was pretty exhausting because I was there the whole time (no lunch break away from the house).











So, here's my new sewing room! There's still some furniture that my parents have to decide what to do with, but I've definitely got enough room to do my work. I'm still waiting on a surface for ironing, but that just has to be moved into the room. It's so exciting! I have so much more light to work with I don't even know what to do!

After I arranged everything, I spent most of my time planning out everything I need to do. I put everything on its own little card so I could really visualize it.

It was a lot of stuff...


Once I had a good idea of everything I need to do, I made a big calendar of the weeks I'll be home and taped it to a box. I pinned certain things that I want to get done on each day (no more than 4 tasks per day), so I'll be able to make sure I'm really on track. It's something that I can change if I find that some things don't take as long as others and it's nice and flexible. If I get tired of cutting out fabric, I can just move some cards and schedule myself to sew that day. I think it'll work out much better. I'm mostly more confident because I can really see just how much work there still is so I can't convince myself that I have a lot of extra time anymore.

Once I finished all that, I even had time to finish the two Blue Cotton V-neck Tops that have been waiting for...I don't even know how long it's been...a month and a half? Anyways, they're both done now and ready for any embellishing I want to put on them. I'll post about them separately.

Well, that's it for today! Tomorrow I'm planning on working on the few patterns I haven't finished yet. I'll post again soon (I promise)!

No comments:

Post a Comment