The purpose of this blog is to chronicle the next 9(ish) months of my life until I present my senior project. The project I have chosen is an 18 outfit, 38 piece fashion line, which will be entirely designed and made by me.

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Piece #18 and Outfit #4 Finished!

Didn't expect this, huh? In addition to pattern making, fabric cutting, and sewing up the two blue shirts, I was able to make the Gold Chiffon 4 Square Top. Isn't it great?! Another outfit finished!!

This top is essentially the same as the Black Satin 4 Square Dress, except that it's smaller and there aren't chain straps. It's about a 60% opaque soft gold chiffon, which is really nice and flowy. The biggest obstacle I had to face was working with the chiffon. This was one of my first real experiences with this fabric, and I discovered it to be a very fussy one. To do the edging of each square, I used a rolling hem foot attachment for my old singer machine. I tried to do this immediately after cutting out the pieces, not realizing that I needed to make sure the edges were perfectly square with the fabric threads. So, I spent about two hours pulling the fibers from each edge of the squares until they were perfect. After that, the rolling hem went fairly well. It did take a bit of getting used to, though.

All in all, it turned out the way I designed it (although I think I imagined that the fabric would be a little more flowy than it is), and I'm really happy with this outfit. I still have to hem the pants and I plan on adding sequins to the chiffon top as well as painted gargoyle wings to the tanktop. The extra decorations will be done while I'm at school.






Total Hours Logged: about 4 1/2

Fabric: New Gold Chiffon 1 yard

Notions: none

Cost (not including time): about $8

No comments:

Post a Comment