The purpose of this blog is to chronicle the next 9(ish) months of my life until I present my senior project. The project I have chosen is an 18 outfit, 38 piece fashion line, which will be entirely designed and made by me.

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Bad News, Good News, And Then Some More Bad News...

Well, I'm back from college! My classes are done, and I should be getting results by Monday. I have this feeling I'm going to get an A. I'm pretty excited about it.

Anyways, I got home and checked my email, and came across my first bit of bad news: JoAnn Fabrics (the store I've shopped at for the supplies for my entire project) has yet again cancelled an order because they didn't have the item in stock. Seriously? I would think that if they didn't have the item in stock they wouldn't have allowed me to place the order. This is the second time this has happened since I began buying the fabric for my line, and one time they only sent me half of the amount. They refunded me, but I still can't stand the lack of efficiency or the fact that they have clearly done nothing to improve. I wrote them a rather disdainful email and told them that after I purchase the few things left in my wishlist (I can't very well change stores in the middle; the colors might turn out all wrong...), they are losing my business for good. I'm quite upset about it and I would never recommend their company to anyone else.

The good news of the day is that I found my sewing scissors! Turns out that I had left them at home...can you believe it? I don't know what I thought I would get done without my fabric scissors... Anyways, I'm really glad I found them. I really did think I lost them at school somewhere...

And then...back to bad news...again involving JoAnn Fabrics. I've been periodically purchasing fabrics for my line as I could afford them and had them shipped to my house (I really didn't need any more fabric in my dorm room). Anyways, so I bought a knit that was meant to be a mustardy gold to fit with the cardigan yarn. The image on JoAnn.com was very close so I ordered it.

This is what I got. I'm pretty sure that whoever named this yarn is colorblind. This is a yellow orange (in real life it's very orange and ugly. I have no idea why my phone keeps muting the colors of things...), but they called it gold! This fabric literally glows. I'm kind of afraid to turn off the light, because it just might glow in the dark. Maybe big fans of neon will like it, but I find this color hideous. Especially when you look at my color inspiration and the general feel of my line, this fabric would just make the wearer look like they're on crack. Needless to say, I'm sending it back.

So now, the only thing that's making me feel better (other than my scissors) are a few books I received from Borders (at least Borders understands how to process an order properly, and even though their customer service people are in India, they've been quite nice and helpful the few times I've had to call): Dune by Frank Herbert, Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, and The Complete Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Yes, believe it or not, folks, I'm a science fiction nerd. Blame my father. I'm excited to read these, but I admit I'm a little behind on reading (I have the entire Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, The Black Dagger Brotherhood series, and three more works by Ayn Rand to finish before I start these). Most likely these will just sit on my shelf watching me longingly from across the room while I sew/knit for the next 9 months. How sad.

And now for a last bit of information no one needs to know, I came home to blue toilet water. It's weird. I'm still not sure how I feel about it... Anyway, back to work tomorrow! Lots of sewing to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment