The purpose of this blog is to chronicle the next 9(ish) months of my life until I present my senior project. The project I have chosen is an 18 outfit, 38 piece fashion line, which will be entirely designed and made by me.

Friday, July 8, 2011

Great News!

I'm no longer a pants virgin! Yes, it's true. Before today, I had never made a pair of pants. Amazing, right? Actually, it's probably more amazing that I had never made pants yet I planned on making 8 of them for my line.

At any rate, I used the pattern from the jeans that I cut up. The fabric was a suiting fabric that I'd gotten from my grandmother (again, thanks, Grandma!). I didn't mind using it for a test garment because it's a distinctly 70s era bluish grey color, which is not something that I'm sure I can bring back into fashion...

I cut out the pieces of the pattern and sewed it all up (it probably took me about an hour, since it was my first attempt). When I tried on the pants, I couldn't even squeeze the front closed. It's a little hard to see on the picture, but it was crazy how much the side seam bent. I couldn't believe it. Especially since I got the pattern from a pair of pants that fit me.

So, when I realized that my original pattern would in no way work, I altered it and added an inch and a half to the side seam on the front piece, for a total of 3 extra inches.


My second pair was significantly better than the first. The only problem that I really had with them was that it was really pulling at the crotch. I ripped out the center seam and moved the stitching line for the inside seam about 1/8 of an inch to give me some more room. I did the same with the outside seams because I didn't like my underwear lines showing through so much.



















The last version looks much better. I decided to go ahead and finish the pants so I could have some experience with it before I just went ahead and did it on my important fabric. I did have a little trouble at the front where the underflap and the fly meet the normal seam. There's a weird little puckering effect. There's also a few spots where I wish I'd taken a bit more time to pay attention to where the stitches fell, but I'm not too worried about it. I'm still really proud of my first pair of pants!

I still don't understand why there was such a problem with the pattern. I understand that jeans are more durable than suiting fabric, so it just makes sense that they'd be able to hold in my pudge better, but it just seemed like a lot of additions that I had to make to the pattern... At any rate, I had enough fabric left that I can use it for the second test of the jacket and the vest pattern. I'll probably finish the vest the way I would normally, too, so then I'll have matching vest and pants set. I'm pretty excited about it, even though it's going to be in weird 70s colored fabric...

1 comment:

  1. It sometimes happens that different fabrics react differently to the same pattern, this means that maybe the problem is not the pattern, although, if the pattern is from a pair of jeans, the pattern is different from a normal pants. I do not know if this has sense for you. What matters is that you can get on testing and altering what it takes to reach the goal.

    ReplyDelete