The purpose of this blog is to chronicle the next 9(ish) months of my life until I present my senior project. The project I have chosen is an 18 outfit, 38 piece fashion line, which will be entirely designed and made by me.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Some More Non-Project Sewing...

Do you remember yesterday how I said that I had a great idea bouncing around my head for something that I wanted to make? Well, If not, you need to pay more attention.

The idea, my dear readers, is for a long, lovely, 1950s era dressing gown. Aren't you excited already?! The idea came from the movie How To Marry A Millionaire, which was released in 1953, starring Marilyn Monroe. About half an hour into the movie, Marilyn Monroe comes out on set in an amazing full length dressing gown.

I know, I know. It's just amazing. I knew I had to have one.

Luckily I remembered this odd little synthetic stretch terrycloth fabric that my grandmother had given me. I had a few big bright teal pieces and a small amount of bright purple. It's a strange fabric, but it was absolutely perfect for this project.








I didn't use a pattern. When I was thinking about how I would make the dressing gown I knew instantly that I was going to use a quick cut kimono sleeve piece for the bodice with a V-neck cut out of the front. The purple waist section was something like 5 inches shorter than the bodice so that it pulled in nicely at the waist. The skirt was two pieces of the teal, sewn together and in the shape of a long rectangle. What I wanted to do was make the most use of the fabric as I could, which is why I chose to use a simple rectangle for the skirt instead of a shaped one.

It closes in the front with snaps, which I've had for a while but never used. The snaps are really nice, especially for this kind of fabric. Everything is finished and hemmed nicely, and I'm happy to say that it took me well under 4 hours to finish (the hand sewn snaps and the skirt gathers took the longest).

I'm so happy with this garment. I'm glad I made it. I know it's not something for my project, but I figure that if I just force myself to make the same planned things everyday, then I might risk sewing becoming like a job. In some ways, it is a job, but if I make myself see it that way, then I don't think it would take too long before I'd lose my passion for it. I want to do this because it's something I've always wanted to do; not just because I've said that I would do it. I don't mind too much if occasionally I get sidetracked and make something just for my pleasure. I have complete faith in myself that I'll be able to finish everything in time.

2 comments:

  1. You chose nice colours.Although it looks a bit loose,I'm sure it's only because it's on mannequin and will fit you perfectly.

    I found your blog through your Ravelry account.Mine is by the ID name "lionxlamb".

    I hope to see more of your work soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm excited to see your stuff, too!

    ReplyDelete