The purpose of this blog is to chronicle the next 9(ish) months of my life until I present my senior project. The project I have chosen is an 18 outfit, 38 piece fashion line, which will be entirely designed and made by me.

Friday, July 15, 2011

The End Of An Era...

This post is not about sewing. It's about Harry Potter. I know some people feel that the hype over Harry Potter is stupid, and childish, but it's not that way for me. I love this series of books and movies, not for Daniel Radcliffe or Emma Watson, but for everything the story has ever meant to me.

I found the books when I was in fourth grade, at which point the fourth book was already released. I read the books slowly, so the characters grew up with me. When the seventh book came out in 2007, I was 17 years old, just like the characters. For over 10 years, the cast of Harry Potter has been, quite honestly, an important presence in my life. I was sad when I read the seventh book, because it was over, but not this sad. The movies were still being made, so I still had those to look forward to. They weren't gone yet.

Tonight I saw the final movie in the Harry Potter series, and I'm not ashamed to say that I cried. How could I not? This thing that has been with me all my life is now really over. I am pleased that the movie was so spectacular, but I can't help being anything but upset that something that means so much to me is finished.

I saw the movie with a friend of mine, who is two years younger than me. He's a big reader, too, but I think the two years really made a difference. He had a connection to the series, but not anything near to what I had. He didn't seem to understand why I was so upset over it, and I didn't know how to explain it to him.

It's a difficult thing; watching something so special end.

No comments:

Post a Comment