The purpose of this blog is to chronicle the next 9(ish) months of my life until I present my senior project. The project I have chosen is an 18 outfit, 38 piece fashion line, which will be entirely designed and made by me.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

No Pictures Today...

Two days ago, I went to JoAnn Fabrics to pick up the fabric for the costumes. I got a black rayon/polyester knit (for the undershirts--over 7 yards of it, because the shirts are so big and baggy), a rust colored zebra print stamped suedecloth (for the corset/vests--5 yards), and a purple costume satin sprayed with pinkish glitter (for the skirts--10 yards). All this cost under $100, which seems pretty good for 5 costumes.

I cut out all the pieces (the suedecloth was really a bitch to cut; my hand cramped up a few times!) and sewed 4 of the skirts, then found out that I didn't have quite enough elastic to do the last one. Yesterday I picked up more elastic and some cord to do the lacing of the corsets (because these are meant for the stage, it will actually be faux lacing, and the vests will close via velcro. It can get pretty crazy backstage, and none of the girls will have time to lace themselves up in the middle of the show).

Then I proceeded to sew the remaining skirt, all 5 of the corset/vests, and all 5 of the undershirts. It was an exhausting, sleepless night, but I'm glad that most of the work is done. The next practice is on Monday night, so I'll have to wait until then to fit the vests to the girls.

Now that the night of mad stitching is over, I'm feeling a little sewn out...looks like the rest of the day will be about knitting. I'm okay with that.

In other news, Jerry (the rather ugly looking Singer) is in the shop to be fixed. The upper thread keeps getting caught inside the bobbin section of the machine. I'm not sure if it's actually getting stuck on something, or if it just needs to be cleaned, or if the issue is with the tension (which would be a bobbin issue, since I can't loosen it well enough). I hope it doesn't take too long to figure it out...

While waiting for that machine, my next job for my fashion line will be draping the patterns which are on my dress form. I'm having a bit of trouble just thinking about it... Tell me, does anyone know how to make a bodice with no seams (other than the sides) cut on the sides which begins at the collarbone and ends at the hips and contours to the body? Am I shooting for something that will never happen? I hope not... Anyways, with that being difficult and just finding out that Borders is going out of business, I'm about as irritable as a 3 year old without a nap. Probably because I need a nap. Not fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment