The purpose of this blog is to chronicle the next 9(ish) months of my life until I present my senior project. The project I have chosen is an 18 outfit, 38 piece fashion line, which will be entirely designed and made by me.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Arguing With Elastic...

I decided to start sewing something for my fashion line! Yay! I decided to work on the Teal Satin Tank, because the pattern for it is pretty easy and quick.

What I wanted to do was change the elastic under the bust to a drawstring, but I only bought a yard of the fabric, and some of that is for the Black Satin 4 Square Dress belt. I didn't have enough fabric to make a drawstring and a belt, so I accepted that this one would have to be elastic in casing.

The sewing went really fast, except for the spaghetti straps (great post about different kinds of spaghetti straps and a general how to here), which took a while to turn right side out.

Once I was able to turn them, though, I was so happy with the way they looked (apart from the intense wrinkling, but that's nothing my lovely iron can't fix!) that it totally made the turning troubles worth it. I also discovered my sewing machine's overcast stitches, so I overcasted every edge which won't be hidden, and I discovered that that makes working with satin almost enjoyable! Much smaller amount of fibers on my bed.

Overall, I'm very happy with my construction on this garment so far (a lot of that probably has to do with the overcasting) . My seams are very straight and even, which is not something that I've found easy in the past...Yay! I'm getting better!

I've finished sewing on the elastic casing, and am currently trying to push the elastic through it. This, for some reason, is significantly more difficult than I expected. I think it has to do with the fabric being stiffer than I'm used to. So far, I've made it about two inches past the side seam.

It took me approximately two hours to get this far. I've been ready to give up for about an hour and 45 minutes. In fact, I have given up several times. Then I've dejectedly come back and continued slowly inching (more like milimetering) the elastic through the casing. It's unbelievably frustrating. The elastic is being very contrary.

I would consider just taking out the lower stitch line of the casing and restitch it lower, but it's just so straight! I couldn't bear to rip it out...Plus, satin is a generally angry fabric, and it doesn't like people, so if I were to take out the stitches, the holes would show for the rest of ever. So, I sit here and slowly work the elastic through. I'll post when I've finished the thing...at which point I'll probably be a hundred years old....

No comments:

Post a Comment