The purpose of this blog is to chronicle the next 9(ish) months of my life until I present my senior project. The project I have chosen is an 18 outfit, 38 piece fashion line, which will be entirely designed and made by me.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Four Important Lessons...

Well, have I got a story for you! It all starts with the fact that I haven't slept since noon yesterday. I meant to go to sleep last night, but I'd lay down and I couldn't stop thinking about all of the things I could do instead of sleep, so I just kept doing things and then suddenly the sun was rising...

Anyways, on my first attempt at sleep, I decided to read a book to make my eyes more tired and therefore more likely to close. I picked up We The Living by Ayn Rand (one of my all time favorite authors), and read a chapter or two. The story is set in Soviet Russia, so all the people there wear gloves if they have them. This thought lead me to think about how women always used to wear gloves because it was proper and elegant. I've always wanted a cute little pair of gloves to wear around.

So I got to thinking...maybe I could make myself a pair of gloves! So, I quickly turned on my computer and began a search for glove patterns. I didn't have to look far; I found this site and began to draft a pattern of my own hands on some brown paper I got at Walmart for making clothing patterns. This little project has been going on since about 6:30 in the morning (when I began sewing), with breaks for my classwork. During the process, I've learned a few important things...

1) Measure for the placement of the thumb hole; don't just eyeball it... my first glove was done by hand, as it was 6:30 am and the site suggested that I do it by hand (I don't think they were using cotton rib knit fabric). I used some more of my cotton rib knit because, again, I didn't want to use any of my line fabric. You can see where I've drawn the proper placement for the thumb hole.

2) Make sure the length of the fingers on your pattern actually match the length of your fingers... honestly, I have no idea how I messed this part up... It seemed pretty easy... Even a 4 year old can trace around their fingers... This first glove looked pretty ridiculous, I'm not gonna lie....




3) Turn your thumb section right side out before you sew it on to the rest of the glove... it's the same basic principle as a
sleeve, except much smaller... you wouldn't believe how many sleeves I've done this to, too... It seems to be a recurring problem for me...

At this point, I ripped apart the glove to remake my pattern so that it fit better. My next move was to recut the pieces and try on the sewing machine. I wasn't very happy with my hand stitching on these... I think it's because the fabric is rather thick.

4) Last, but definitely not least, when making a pair of gloves, DO NOT MAKE TWO RIGHT GLOVES! Yeah, I did that...I think my problem was that I did one and then the other. It might be a better idea to work back and forth on the gloves so I make sure they're opposite...

I didn't really feel like sewing another glove today, so I've decided to leave this project for another day.

On the plus side, I'm pretty satisfied with the fit. I'll probably want to thin out the fingers toward the top, but the thumb fit is perfect!

In other news, I finished ripping apart that pair of pants, so I'll be able to draft a pattern that already fits me perfectly! I'm going to do a wideleg version and a bootcut version. Also, I'm 10 rows away from finishing the body portion of the Red Hand Knitted Half Sleeve Sweater. Once I finish it, all I need to do is the neckline, the sleeves, and a belt to tie around the waist. I'm really excited!

1 comment:

  1. This made me laugh so hard, I was crying - 2 right hands - I suppose you have 2 left feet to go along with them - Love you :}

    ReplyDelete