The purpose of this blog is to chronicle the next 9(ish) months of my life until I present my senior project. The project I have chosen is an 18 outfit, 38 piece fashion line, which will be entirely designed and made by me.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Piece #2 Finished!

I know you've all been anxiously waiting to see how my annoying elastic turned out... Well, after four and a half hours of milimetering that stupid elastic through, I finally saw it at the other side of the shirt! Yay! If I remember correctly, this was at some point between 4:30 and 5:00 am, so I wasn't able to immediately finish it up.

When it came time to do the hem, I decided to do something different. The fabric is much stiffer than I expected it to be, so I wanted to try to add a softer feel to the hemline than it was already showing. Luckily, my sewing machine has the perfect stitch for that: the scallop stitch.




It was pleasantly simple; I just pushed the buttons on the sewing machine and let it do its thing. All I had to do was make sure it sewed in a straight line, and it came out perfect! Once it was done, I just had to cut out around the stitches, and BAM! Perfect delicate hem. I would also like to comment on the fact that the scallops remind me of Notre Dame's architecture (another reason I chose them). I might use this stitch elsewhere except upside down so I get that nice pointy edge effect. (Not sure why the coloring is so different, it's in the exact same place I photographed it before...)

Anyways, I've kept you waiting long enough! Here's the finished product!

The top is tighter than I expected, and I thought it would be more flowy and drapey than it is, but the fabric is stiffer than I realized, too. Eventually I'd love to do some beadwork/embellishment to the top to make it less plain. Still a work in progress, but it's made!

Total Hours Logged: approximately 6 (would have been 2 if the elastic would have just WORKED WITH ME!)


Fabric: Teal Jewel Satin less than 1 yd

Notions: 1/8" Elastic

Cost (not including time): under $5

No comments:

Post a Comment