The purpose of this blog is to chronicle the next 9(ish) months of my life until I present my senior project. The project I have chosen is an 18 outfit, 38 piece fashion line, which will be entirely designed and made by me.

Monday, June 20, 2011

My Creation Is Completed!!!

I feel the need to begin this post with an apology as to the poor quality of these photos...I don't have a very good camera...

Anyways, my friend's dress is done (and it looks fantastic if I do say so myself)! I'd say it probably took me somewhere around 10-12 hours to complete, but a lot of that was due to the fabric having been folded for over a year (the creases were almost impossible to iron out!), and me having to do a lot of things by hand. I don't have any white thread that's the proper weight for crepe back satin, so I had to use a yellow goldish thread for all the machine parts. Everything done by hand is done with a white thread that's heavier than the satin. Impossible to tell in hand sewing, but it really messed up the machine.


Fabric: white crepe back satin
white lining
red ribbon


Notions: 20 10 inch zipper (she wasn't sure what length of zipper to buy so she bought a long one. Not a problem; shortening zippers is easy)





Close up of the front. I used that sneaky little backstitch trick that I found on the zipper instruction site to sew on the ribbon at the waist. It's very nice; you can hardly tell where the stitches are.





My friend is a size zero, and my dress form (which I have yet to name!) only goes to about a size 3, so the back doesn't close at the moment. I was really worried for a while that it wouldn't fit at all, but she is quite thin, so I don't think I'll have any issues with it.








I know I shouldn't brag, but just look at that zipper! I'm impressed with myself! (ignore the fact that it doesn't close)

I can't wait until she sees it! I hope she loves it!

No comments:

Post a Comment