The purpose of this blog is to chronicle the next 9(ish) months of my life until I present my senior project. The project I have chosen is an 18 outfit, 38 piece fashion line, which will be entirely designed and made by me.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Since I Haven't Talked About It In A While...

I figured I'd give an update of the Red Jersey Dress.

It's still not quite done (the machine I have here at school with me is too tight, so the jersey stretches too much for the finishing to look right), but it's very close.

My first attempt, done in the teal cotton rib knit was quite honestly a disaster. I mean, seriously, just look at it (again, apologies for the terrible camera).

I made myself a hospital gown. This might be a good thing in the future, since I tend to have a knack for randomly landing myself in the hospital, but still, this was far from my intention.





I like the way the front and back Vs look, although the sleeves are dangerously close to falling off my shoulders, which I didn't like so much. Some of this probably had to do with the surprising weight of the fabric. Although I hate this horrible thing that I've made, I fully intend to try to make something wearable out of it. I'm thinking a bustier line t-shirt dress. I have some more knits at home to work with.





The dress was about 4 inches too big around the waist, so I fixed that on the pattern, and the waistline was about half an inch below mine (it's such a hard life; I have a high waist but a long torso. Tragic.), so I had to shorten it in the middle.





In the end, my pattern looked like this;


You can see the tape marks where I've lifted the waist, and on the top of the sleeve where I've added some to the top. The sleeve can be long, half length, or a cap sleeve; I didn't want to have to cut it out three times. I also cut a 1 1/2 inch (approximately) strip for the edging at the neck.

At the moment, the dress is sewn together and just needs to be hemmed and for the neckline edging to be put on. The pattern adjustments worked out great, and it looks much more like my sketch. The only problem is that, since it's a synthetic jersey, it does that annoying thing where it shows every bump underneath it. Since I don't need random passerby to know what type of underwear I'm wearing, I will be making a slip. I'll post pictures when it's finished (which probably won't be until I'm back at home next week).

This week is finals week for the first half of the summer semester (there are two parts, I'm only taking classes during the first part), so I probably won't be able to do much for my project. I might have time to finish up my Red Hand Knitted Half Sleeve Sweater, since all that's left are the sleeves and a tie belt. I'll also work on my Off White Hand Knitted Gown/Wedding Dress, as usual. I finally started on the third skein of yarn for it today! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment