The purpose of this blog is to chronicle the next 9(ish) months of my life until I present my senior project. The project I have chosen is an 18 outfit, 38 piece fashion line, which will be entirely designed and made by me.

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Started Sewing...

Except that it's not a garment for my fashion line...a really close friend of mine is getting married on Monday, and I promised that I would make her dress. Anyone who has ever sewn something is probably wondering why I've just now started on a dress that is needed in less than two days...well, mostly it's because I'm a terrible procrastinator. It's also because she's having a courthouse ceremony (she doesn't like attention), so the dress is a very simple one.

For the top of the pattern I used Simplicity 3501 (because she wanted a sweetheart neckline) and improvised a plain A-line skirt. She specified that she wanted the straps to begin relatively thin at the front, then get wider at the shoulder, then get thinner at the back. This wasn't too hard; I just used some of the strap pattern and edited the widths at the appropriate places. She also asked that I incorporate a red ribbon to go around her waist and tie in the back. This will be hand stitched to the seam under the bustline.

So far today I was able to complete the bodice portion, and tomorrow will sew the skirts, ribbon, zipper, and hemline. I was also considering using the remainder of the fabric she bought to make a tie/bow tie for her fiancee. I'm not sure if he'll be dressed up at all, though, so I can't decide if it would be a good idea...plus, I might not have time...also, if I have time, I would like to complete my Red Jersey A-line Dress so that I have something to wear.

I'll be sure to take photos of the finished product and post them on here (even though it doesn't pertain to my fashion line...

No comments:

Post a Comment